How to Adopt
Adopting a dog is a rewarding experience. You not only save an animal's life, but you also make a new best friend. Our adoption process helps to ensure a successful match.
BE ADVISED THAT IN LIGHT OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, OUR ADOPTION PROCEDURES HAVE BEEN MODIFIED. MEET AND GREETS WITH RESCUES ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR SELECTED APPLICANTS, FOLLOWING WHO AND CDC GUIDELINES. IF SELECTED, AN ADOPTION COORDINATOR WILL CONTACT YOU. WE ARE RECEIVING A LARGE AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS AND INQUIRIES. UNFORTUNATELY, WE CANNOT RESPOND TO EACH ONE. PLEASE LIMIT EMAILS TO APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS ONLY.
1. If you see a dog that you are interested in adopting, please complete our online application. It is always helpful to submit an application prior to attending an adoption event if you are serious about adopting. Doing so does not commit you to a specific dog or require a fee.
2. Be sure to submit pictures and video as instructed in the application. This is required for consideration. Supplemental materials may be sent to .
3. We will review your application and contact you only if your application is a best fit for a dog prior to an adoption event or scheduled meet and greet. Please keep in mind that we do not place a rescue in a home on a first-come-first-serve basis. Instead, we strive to find the best fit for you and for the rescue. Be advised there are no same day adoptions.
4. Please note that we will NOT adopt out to families that (1) have or intend to use an invisible fence on their property, (2) use negative training techniques, including but not limited to physical correction, spray bottles, noise horns, prong or shock collars, (3) use retractable leashes, stakes, or tie-ups, (4) will leave their dog unattended for more than 6 hours without a dogwalker, (5) use a dog door that is unmonitored when away from home, (6) do not have a plan for adequate exercise and activity for the rescue, or (7) will not use a car seat, crate, or safety harness that attaches to the seatbelt to safely transport your rescue in a motor vehicle. Training collars are only permitted under the supervision of a certified trainer.
5. Please come to the adoption event with a printed copy of your application to meet the dog(s).
6. Bring all of your human household residents to the adoption event or arranged meet and greet.
7. After meeting the dog(s) you are interested in, please get interviewed by an adoption coordinator and turn in your paper application.
8. Prior to any approval, if there are other animals in the household, we will arrange with you to have the rescue meet any other dogs/cats in the household as needed.
8. You will be contacted ONLY IF your application is approved. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to every application that we receive.
9. In order to take your new dog home, you must have all supplies ready: appropriate sized wire crate (without dividers), fixed leash, collar, ID tag, bed, bowls, food (as instructed by the adoption coordinator), and a safe way to transport your rescue (dog car seat, crate, or dog harness with seat belt attachment). During the pandemic, all rescues are quarantined for two weeks prior to adoption and we ask that you prepare to bring home your new furry family member at the expiration of that time period.
10. Our adoption fee is $400 for adult dogs and $500 for puppies (under 6 months old). This covers the cost of veterinary care, shelter, and transport from Puerto Rico and must be paid via Venmo or Paypal.
11. In the event you provide false information or fail to provide full and accurate disclosures in your application or do not agree to follow PSC's adoption contract, you will be automatically disqualified as an adopter.
12. If for any reason you cannot keep your adopted dog, we require that you return him/her to Project Second Chance.
13. We perform a follow-up visit with all adopted dogs within 30 days to ensure that the safety, well-being, and welfare of our rescues. Please provide updates in the interim!
14. As a PSC adopter, we welcome you to join the PSC family. We would love to see at alumni (dog friendly) events and receive updates and photos. Please tag us on social media posts and use the hashtag #projectsecondchance.
Please check our social media to confirm dates for adoption events.
In lieu of an application fee, we are participating in a “support local” campaign and asking that you shop at a local small business in Alexandria, VA to show community support. We believe that helping local small businesses through the pandemic is important. Your $25 helps to keep their doors open. We kindly ask that you shop at one of these shops below and email a receipt for $25 (or more) to email@example.com or attach it to your application.
Please shop at the following businesses that love our rescues:
- The Dog Park, 705 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314. You can also purchase a gift certificate by phone at 703.888.2818. You can also be twice as giving and designate the $25 for the PSC rescue food fund at the store.
- Hops N Shine, 3410 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA 22305, www.hopsnshine.com
- PSC Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ProjectSecondChance
- Olde Towne School for Dogs, https://www.otsfd.com
- Brut Champagne & Wine Bar, https://www.brutwinebarva.com
We love our community! Thanks for your support.