How to Adopt
PLEASE READ AND SCROLL BELOW TO ADOPTION APPLICATION.
Adopting a dog is a rewarding experience. You not only save an animal's life, but you also make a new best friend. Our adoption process helps to ensure a successful match.
BE ADVISED THAT IN LIGHT OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, OUR ADOPTION PROCEDURES HAVE BEEN MODIFIED. MEET AND GREETS WITH RESCUES ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR SELECTED APPLICANTS. MASKS ARE REQUIRED. IF SELECTED, AN ADOPTION COORDINATOR WILL CONTACT YOU.
1. Applicants and primary caregivers must be 21 years of age or older.
2.If you see a rescue that you are interested in adopting, please complete our online application. Doing so does not commit you to a specific rescue or require a fee.
3. Be sure to submit pictures and video as instructed in the application. This is required for consideration. Supplemental materials may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. We will review your application and contact you only if your application is a potential fit for a rescue. We do not place a rescue in a home on a first-come-first-serve basis. Instead, we strive to find the best fit for you and for the rescue. There are no same day adoptions.
5. We will NOT adopt out to applicants that (1) have or intend to use an invisible fence on their property; (2) use negative training techniques, including but not limited to physical correction, spray bottles, noise horns, prong or shock collars; (3) use retractable leashes, stakes, or tie-ups; (4) will leave their dog unattended for more than 6 hours without a dogwalker; (5) use a dog door that is unmonitored when away from home; (6) do not have a plan for adequate exercise and activity for the rescue; or (7) will not use a car seat, crate, or safety harness that attaches to the seatbelt to safely transport the rescue in a motor vehicle.
6. We do NOT adopt out rescues to be used as emotional support animals or service dogs.
7. Please come to the adoption event with a printed copy of your application. Please print before you hit "Submit."
8. Bring all of your human household residents to the adoption appointment.
9. If there are other dogs in the household, please coordinate with the Adoption Coordinator about bringing them to the adoption appointment. At this time, we cannot do home visits to test a rescue with a cat in your household.
10. You will be contacted ONLY IF you are selected for an adoption appointment. We do our very best to respond to every application that we receive, but it is not always feasible.
11. Adoption appointments are held in Alexandria, VA at a local pet supply store, generally on Saturday or Sunday afternoons only.
12. If approved for adoption, we will provide you with time to gather supplies and prepare your home for your new furry family member. In order to take your rescue home, you must have all supplies ready: appropriate sized wire crate (without dividers), fixed leash, collar, ID tag, bed, bowls, food (as instructed by the adoption coordinator), a jacket or fleece in colder weather), and a safe way to transport your rescue (dog car seat or dog harness with seat belt attachment).
13. Our adoption fee is $500 for all rescues. This covers the cost of veterinary care, shelter, and transport. The adoption fee must be paid via Venmo or Paypal.
14. In the event you provide false or misleading information or fail to provide full and accurate disclosures in your application or do not agree to follow PSC's adoption procedures and contract, you will be automatically disqualified as an adopter. PSC, in its sole discretion, can choose to deny adoption to any potential adopter at any time during the adoption process to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its adoptable animals.
15. If for any reason you cannot keep your adopted rescue, we require that you return him/her to Project Second Chance.
16. We perform a follow-up visit with all adopted dogs within 30 days to ensure that the safety, well-being, and welfare of our rescues. Please provide updates in the interim!
17. As a PSC adopter, we welcome you to join the PSC family. We would love to see you at alumni (dog friendly) events and receive updates and photos. Please tag us on social media posts and use the hashtag #projectsecondchance.