How to Adopt
Adopting a dog is a rewarding experience. You not only save an animal's life, but you also make a new best friend. Our adoption process helps to ensure a successful match.
You can view Project Second Chance's available rescues on Petfinder and Social Media (Instagram/Facebook).
1. If you see a dog that you are interested in adopting, please complete our online application. It is always helpful to submit an application prior to attending an adoption event if you are serious about adopting. Doing so does not commit you to a specific dog or require a fee.
2. Be sure to submit pictures and video as instructed in the application. This is required for consideration.
3. We will review your application and contact you only if your application is a best fit for a dog prior to an adoption event. Please keep in mind that we do not place a rescue in a home on a first-come-first-serve basis. Instead, we strive to find the best fit for you and for the rescue. Be advised there are no same day adoptions.
4. Please note that we will NOT adopt out to families that (1) have or intend to use an invisible fence on their property, (2) use negative training techniques, including but not limited to physical correction, spray bottles, noise horns, prong or shock collars, (3) use retractable leashes, stakes, or tie-ups, (4) will leave their dog unattended for more than 6 hours without a dogwalker, (5) use a dog door that is unmonitored when away from home, or (6) do not have a plan for adequate exercise and activity for the rescue. Training collars are only permitted under the supervision of a certified trainer.
5. Please come to the adoption event with a printed copy of your application to meet the dog(s).
6. Bring all of your human household residents to the adoption event or arranged meet and greet.
7. After meeting the dog(s) you are interested in, please get interviewed by an adoption coordinator and turn in your paper application.
8. Prior to any approval, if there are other animals in the household, we will arrange with you to have the rescue meet any other dogs/cats in the household as needed.
8. You will be contacted ONLY IF your application is approved. Unfortunately, we cannot respond to every application that we receive.
9. In order to take your new dog home, you must have all supplies ready: appropriate size crate, fixed leash, collar, ID tag, bed, bowls, food (as instructed by the adoption coordinator), and a safe way to transport from the adoption site (dog car seats, crates, or another person to assist are preferred).
10. Our adoption fee is $400. This covers the cost of veterinary care, shelter, and transport from Puerto Rico and must be paid via Venmo or Paypal.
11. In the event you provide false information or fail to provide full and accurate disclosures in your application or do not agree to follow PSC's adoption contract, you will be automatically disqualified as an adopter.
12. If for any reason you cannot keep your adopted dog, we require that you return him/her to Project Second Chance.
13. We perform a follow-up visit with all adopted dogs within 30 days to ensure that the safety, well-being, and welfare of our rescues.
14. As a PSC adopter, we welcome you to join the PSC family. We would love to see at alumni (dog friendly) events and receive updates and photos. Please tag us on social media posts and use the hashtag #projectsecondchance.
Please check our social media to confirm dates for adoption events.